Sunday 8 October 2017

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

It's the 8th of the month so it's time for another Anything Goes with Dies challenge over at HLS.
As many of you may know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. This is a cause very close to my heart, having been first diagnosed with it over 20 years ago, followed by a recurrence 10 years later. So it was a no brainer when I saw that Time Out had the theme for their latest challenge, I had to take part. So here is what I came up with using a very, very old Cuttlebug die that my friends and I used to label cards we made to raise funds for Breast Cancer Care, just after my last brush with BC.


I cut lots of the ribbons from white card and laid them out in a grid on a die cut panel of the same card, gluing them down to give a faux embossed effect. One of the ribbons I coloured with Copics and a touch of a Wink of Stella. The panel was then cut and trimmed to reveal the pink base and the STAMPlorations sentiment in white EP. I popped both pieces up on some funky foam scraps and added the pink ribbon die cut.
Quite a simple design but effective I think.


Unfortunately BC can strike anyone, I was under 40, active, not over weight and breast fed both of my children, so when I arrived at the breast clinic after finding a suspect lump,the registrar was not too worried and was going to say that it was nothing to worry about but deep down I knew something was wrong and I was forceful and he eventually did a needle biopsy but as I left he assured me there was nothing to worry about. How wrong he was, after a lumpectomy and taking Tamoxifen ( then as part of the initial trials, no radiotherapy) I survived and carried on playing tennis and badminton thanks to a great surgeon and a stubborn streak. 10 years later I went for a check up mammogram, where the radiographer spotted a shadow, a core biopsy followed. I eventually had to have a full mastectomy as the cancer had returned. Radiotherapy, Tamoxifen and more bloody mindedness carried me through;
So please, please listen to your body and check monthly this link may help. 
As one lady on the ward all those years ago said, PMA, positive, mental attitude to all those currently undergoing treatment.

I'm joining in over at-

   

Grab Our Badge!

#93 Breast Cancer Awareness and/or Friendship



17 comments:

  1. A fabulous card Julie, well worth all the cutting and sticking!! A great post too. I chuckled to myself about your crafty purchases...looks like those pockets really weren't deep enough!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card and a fabulous attitude. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are quite the strong-willed individual, seeing through two bouts of breast cancer. Applauding your 'stubbornness'! Your card is marvelous on every level, especially in communicating a most powerful message. WOW...
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card for a great cause. Thanks for using the sketch and playing at AAA Cards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your faux embossing. Great card. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful card. So simple but so wonderful
    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you trusted your instinct and pushed for the first biopsy, Julie! This card is beautiful with the faux embossed ribbons and band of pink! Thanks for joining us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The white on white background is fabulous, Julie ... love the single strip of bold pink against it with that strong sentiment! So powerful ... as is your post ... bloody mindedness and PMA ... such a potent combination! Thanks so much for joining us for this special challenge at Time Out! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card, great cause. Fabulous take on the sketch. Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this fabulous card. I was wondering how you got that fantastic ribbon texture. Also, thanks so much for sharing your brave story. Thanks so much for playing along at Time Out and CASology.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful card - I'm sure whoever receives this will be very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you followed your instincts and got the doc to do as you wished. We all know our bodies best and I am pleased you are now in a better place. Your card is amazing and wow it must have taken some time, beautifully CAS with the perfect touch of colour and thanks for joining Time Out

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats on HM at CASology it was Jacqui who choosed your card sweety...(I read you say thanks Janet...just a little correction :))
    Love love your idea white on white BG coool idea
    and may I ask you which company sell this DIES?
    many thanks Jules
    hugs hugs
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great words of encouragement. Beautiful card. Thank you for sharing with us at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. An absolutely wonderful card Julie. I love the faux embossed look and the pure simpliciy of the design. I am a survivor too - here's to bloody mindedness and PMA. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome card Julie...Hugs xx Deepti Aggarwal

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do enjoy reading what you have to say.

From 25th May 2018, in line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose. If you leave me a comment on my blog you do so in the knowledge that it will be visible to all who visit my blog. It will also be visible for anyone to collect.

I personally do not collect any information stored on my blog.

If you have left a comment and don't want it to be seen, then please delete it.
Thanks
Jules :0)